Monday, October 27, 2008

Barack Shows 'Em in Missouri

From my good friend Gerry, I received a link to the St Louis Post Dispatch's endorsement of Barack Obama for President. It is one of the most straightforward and well-written pieces I've read in the last three elections and I commend it to you.

Among the highlights:

In the crucible that is a presidential campaign, his intellect, his temperament and equanimity under pressure consistently have been impressive. He has surrounded himself with smart, capable advisers who have helped him refine thorough, nuanced policy positions.

In a word, Mr. Obama has been presidential.

John McCain has served his country well, but in the end, he may have wanted the presidency a little too much, so much that he has sacrificed some of the principles that made him a heroic figure in war and in peace. In every way possible, he has earned the right to retire.

I'm not sure I've yet heard it put so well: he has earned the right to retire.

Missouri, by the way, has gone Democrat only three of the last ten elections (Carter & Clinton, twice). Sure would be nice to paint the heartland blue.

No comments: